#MeatlessMonday: Make it Mexican
Vegan Mexican style chorizo burrito bowls are an easy healthy weeknight one bowl meal. For best results make the mushroom walnut chorizo a day in advance so the spicy chorizo seasonings can develop. Save leftover chorizo for tacos, stuffed sweet potatoes or tostadas. You can purchase soy chorizo but I prefer making my own without soy. I’m sensitive to soy so I try to avoid it. I’ve seen lentil and quinoa taco meat recipes which would also work well.
I used black beans but any legume would be fabulous in this burrito bowl. I prefer to cook my own beans besides you don’t find many canned beans in rural Mexico. Dried pinto and back beans are a great vegan protein source and they are readily available and so inexpensive. Many homes keep a pot of pinto beans stewing on the stove all week long for quick snacks or meals. I make vegetarian pinto beans in my crockpot almost every week. If you are a vegan and you eat out in Mexico you shouldn’t assume that the beans are animal free. I suspect lard is added to most frijoles so make your own and be certain. If I want refried frijoles, I use olive oil.
Sauté any vegetables for your burrito bowl. I had bell peppers, onions, avocado, jalapeño and fresh tomatoes. I occasionally make a large batch of brown or white rice to have ready for weeknight meals.
I’m not sure that this warrants a recipe card but here it is Google search engine. 🤔
Vegan Chorizo Black Bean Burrito Bowls
Build a weeknight complete vegan meal with vegan chorizo, black beans and vegetables. Make it Mexican with peppers and salsa.
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 cups white or brown rice cooked
- 2 cups vegan mushroom chorizo or soy chorizo
- 1 bell pepper, any color
- 1 onion
- 1 jalapeño seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- Step 1 If making mushroom walnut chorizo, prepare it at least one day in advance.
- Step 2 Dice bell peppers and onions. Finely chop jalapeño. Sauté all peppers and onions until soft.
- Step 3 Place a 1/4-1/2 cup each of warmed black beans, rice and chorizo into large bowls. Top each bowl with 1/2 cup of cooked vegetables.
- Step 4 Sprinkle each bowl with cilantro, chopped tomatoes, avocado and green onions. Top each bowl with a tablespoon or more of salsa.
Pin it for later