Don’t show up in the Black Rock desert empty handed, impress your friends with these no cook meals for Burning Man. No need for fire or refrigeration.
Pack your tu tu, feather boa, a festive burner bike, lots of H2O, adult beverages, everything on this list and something to barter with.
Yes, I need all of these things for Burning Man. Bahaha
Burn baby, burn. You can’t live on love alone so pack three days of healthy meals until you can barter for fancy meals at another camp.
Enough about my costume, let’s make some healthy food.
No Cook Meals for Burning Man, Healthy and No Refrigeration is Needed
These meals were inspired by Mexican dry camping trips and I originally wrote this post for a surfer girl who plans surf and yoga retreats in Baja Sur, Mexico so you might have already seen these recipes. Check out her Women’s Surf Yoga Retreat in Baja Sur. I want to go!
They are easily made vegan, just use legumes instead of canned meats and fish. Of course if you stock up in Reno on your way to Burning Man then you have a zillion expensive packaged food options, think Trader Joes or REI but let’s assume that you’re a Burner on a budget. These meals are inexpensive and healthy, which leaves more money for your costumes!!!
This article is about inexpensive healthy no cook meals for Burning Man but the same strategy will work if you a kitchen or a campfire.
Be flexible and shop wisely
Most of the ingredients for these healthy no cook meals are available at the local grocery store. You don’t need to spend a fortune at specialty stores.
Start with tortillas, flour tortillas seem to be the most versatile without needing to be cooked. Look for shelf stable protein sources for example: canned tuna, chicken, shrimp and beans. Nuts are usually available, especially peanuts. Peanut butter should be on your list for quick breakfasts and lunches. Honey or jams can be used to sweeten any meal and you won’t need to refrigerate them.
Buy easy to prepare fruits and veggies that you can quickly wash or peel, and can be eaten raw, for example: carrots, cucumber, onions, zucchini, peppers, jicama, avocados, limes, cherry tomatoes, mangos, melons, bananas, oranges. Buy the freshest fruits and vegetables that you can find because they are the nutritional stars in these no cook meals. Canned fruits and veggies can be used in a pinch but avoid the high salt and sugar versions.
Skip the lettuces, chard and other dirty vegetables that take lost of time and water to clean. You should conserve water in the desert and besides you have Burning Man things to see and do. Pre-washed lettuces are an option for the first night but they’ll need refrigeration.
3 Day Sample Menu
No Cook Healthy Meals
- Peanut butter and banana tortilla wraps or sandwiches
- Almond milk overnight oats with nuts and fruit: Combine quick cooking oats, non-dairy milk, a drizzle of honey or jam in a ziplock and let sit overnight. Add fruit and nuts in the morning and breakfast is ready.
- Breakfast burritos: Spread pinto bean frijoles in a tortilla with salsa and red pepper strips.
- Tuna fish wraps: Buy oil packed tuna, drain and flake, combine with thin slices of cucumber, carrot and red pepper and wrap in a tortilla or eat as a salad. Add a squeeze of lime. A few jalapeño slices would give you a spicy tuna wrap.
- “Waldorf” fruit salad: Combine rough chopped walnuts, celery, and apples. Make a dressing with olive oil, orange juice, honey and lime juice. Serve with a hummus wrap and remaining vegetables.
- Hummus wraps: Smash cooked garbanzo beans with a fork, add a tablespoon of olive oil, a squeeze of lime, and thinly sliced onion and zucchini. Use in a wrap or as a dip for other vegetables or tortilla chips.
- Canned chicken, honey lime chipotle salad: Combine 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 teaspoon of minced jalapeño or to taste, a teaspoon of honey, squeeze of lime and whip with a fork. Combine canned chicken, 1/4 cup of chopped peanuts, 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, diced mango and serve in halved red pepper cups for a gourmet touch.
- Baja shrimp wraps: Rinse canned shrimp. Mix with garbanzo beans, olives, diced celery and tomatoes, olive oil, lime, and any combination of peppers. Wrap in a tortilla.
- Burritos bowls: Combine drained and rinsed black or pinto beans, canned corn, diced red or green pepper, olives sliced, sliced avocado and chunky red salsa.
Healthy No Cook Meals Shopping List:
[lt_recipe name=”PRINTABLE SHOPPING LIST, HEALTHY NO COOK MEALS ” print=”yes” ingredients=”flour tortillas;peanuts;walnuts;peanut butter;honey or jam;quick oats;non-dairy milk or shelf stable cow’s milk;;canned tuna;canned chicken;canned shrimp;canned or bags of vegetarian pinto, black and garbanzo beans;oregano or cumin;canned salsas;olive oil;;limes;oranges;mango;melon;carrots;celery;zucchini;cucumber;red bell peppers;onion;;crispy tostados or tortilla chips;dark chocolate for a healthy treat;;tequila for obvious reasons” ]Minimal gear packing list, sharp knife, can opener, cutting board, safe drinking and food prep water, ziplock bags, silverware, plates, bowls, wash basin and dish soap [/lt_recipe]
Subscribe for more Mexican food recipes and tales from the Baja.
Please Pin it and Share it
#Travel, #Healthy Camping Meals, #Burning Man