Sweet watermelon, spicy serrano pepper, cool cucumber, fragrant cilantro and red onion make a fruit salsa that is bursting with flavor.
There are a zillion recipes for watermelon salsa on the internet so please try every variation. I wanted more crunch so I added crisp cucumber and of course I love a punch of citrus from lime.
I served my salsa with grilled salmon and zucchini in a lemon basil marinade. You could serve yours with grilled shrimp kabobs, margarita marinade chicken or fish, or topping green leafy veggies like kale or arugula with a few crumbles of cojita or feta, for a vegetarian Mexican salad. I could eat this salsa on tortilla chips, fish tacos or with a spoon.
Sweet Spicy Watermelon Salsa
Quick and easy sweet, spicy watermelon salsa.
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 1 cup diced cucumber, about 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 to 1 serrano chili pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, about 1/2 a bunch
- 1 large lime juiced or 2 key limes
- Dash of salt
- Step 1 The watermelon, cucumber and onion should have a uniform 1/2 inch dice. The serrano should be finely chopped. Remove the seeds if you want less heat. Combine all ingredients. Add a dash of salt and adjust as needed. You can make this ahead of time and store covered in the refrigerator up to two days.
Pin it for later