Watermelon is so easy to love by itself but mix it with herbs like basil or lovage, spicy greens like arugula or endive and salty cheese then magic happens. I’ve made this salad many times with arugula but I think I love the basil even more.
I grow basil, arugula, lovage, parsley, lavender, Swiss chard and arugula on my deck in pots, all winter long in Mexico. Some greens and fresh herbs are available at the organic markets. I buy seeds and plant the herbs that I frequently use. I have seen herb plants at the farmers markets in the spring.
Arugula is easy to grow and difficult to find so grow your own.
Let local farmers know that you need fresh arugula and basil. Join a CSA, community supported agriculture, in your community or get together with your farmers and create one.
Stay tuned to My Baja Newsletter Fall edition for an update on the Loreto, BCS, CSA.
Watermelon Basil Feta Salad
Simple 4 ingredient watermelon, basil and feta salad. Toss with balsamic glaze for a quick, protein packed salad. Travels well when chilled.
- Watermelon, 6-8 cups cubed
- Fresh basil, 1 cup sliced
- Feta or quéso fresco, 1 cup crumbled
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar glaze, or reduced balsamic vinegar. May substitute orange marmalade thinned with apple cider or rice vinegar.
- Step 1 Cube watermelon and slice basil. Mix with feta and toss. Drizzle salad with glaze before serving. Keep chilled under ready to serve. Best eaten immediately.
Pin it for later or make it tonight!