The holidays are hectic but that is no reason to make lame excuses not to work out. Exercise reduces stress and gives you a little more wiggle room for high calorie treats. It’s important not to get out of the habit of exercising. It’s always easier to stick with a plan than to build up your motivation and endurance again. You know I’m right.
Make exercise a priority and schedule everything else around it. Consider substitutions for your usual activities. Walk around the neighborhood to see Christmas lights, start a tag football game with the family, hike to cut down a tree, or climb the stairs at the mall.
If you run out of lame excuses not to work out, feel free to use mine but then go workout anyway.
1) The cute outfit that you bought for your 2017 New Year’s Resolution, Gym Comeback, still has the tags on. Besides it barely fit in January and it certainly doesn’t fit now. Ouch.
2) Your Zumba class is having a “Bring your cat to class day”, and everyone knows that you can’t herd cats to salsa music.
3) Your water aerobics teacher returns to the frozen north every year for Christmas and you hate the substitute teacher’s techno music and high intensity intervals. (So sorry ladies.)
3) Your personal trainer really is SATAN.
4) You prepay your gym membership for a year and you calculate that each spin class cost you $150 in 2017. There are only a handful of days left in the year so f%#€ it! why bother now. Paste another cookie on your a$$. Swearing burns calories, I swear. 🤨
5) The Stairmaster ate your hoodie 10 years ago and a cute guy had to rescue you before you were strangled and you haven’t recovered from the shame. No reason to get over that. The guy would certainly recognize you now.
6) You are always the thinnest, fittest girl in the boot camp class and you don’t want others to feel self-conscious. I know, right?
7) Yoga gives you gas. EVERY STINKING TIME! Besides, spandex is hot in the tropics.
8) Your workout buddy doesn’t really need your support. She’s used to going it alone. Besides it was a loose arrangement and it’s not as if you promised with a spit handshake. Or maybe you did, there was tequila involved. Your dog doesn’t deserve a daily walk anyway. Ouch, that’s cruel. Just put on your shoes and do it.
9) Your Lululemon yoga pants are see through and it’s not as if they are stretched to capacity. Why what have you heard?
10) And the best reasons to never exercise are …drum roll please.
You have a million lame excuses not to work out and you like feeling sluggish. You really don’t mind being short of breath when you climb 3 stairs. You like not being able to tie your own shoes, carry your own groceries, or lift your travel bag to the overhead bin. You don’t mind and can afford to take medication for diabetes or hypertension or heart disease
Or _________ Fill in the blank with any sedentary lifestyle associated illness that you would like to have, because you just might get your wish.
Make a wish with a plan and get fit. Dance, swim, kayak, paddle board, snow ski, ice skate, hike or walk. Walking is a great exercise for every body.
Oh and get some new workout clothes that fit and make you feel fabulous. An excuse to shop, you’re welcome.
You might like my Pinterest Wellness and Self-care Board.