Try this simple yet elegant, easy Instant Pot chicken recipe with baby Portobello mushrooms and creamy goat cheese over polenta. I just purchased an Instant Pot and I’m experimenting with recipes for the slow cooker and the pressure cooker settings. This is a slow cooker recipe so you can make it in any slow cooker.
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you buy my suggestion the I get a few cents. I can fully endorse the Instant Pot.
The magical Instant Pot
I wasn’t sure what all the fuss was about so I tripped around the internet for advise and was convinced that I couldn’t live without this all-in-one cooking appliance. It sautés and browns, steams, warms, substitutes for a pressure cooker and a slow cooker and even makes yogurt.
One Pot, easy clean up!
I love the fact that I can do all the steps in one pot. It’s easy to clean and takes up the same space as a large slow cooker. My kitchen in Baja is small and I don’t have a lot of storage space so this is perfect. I wanted a pressure cooker in Baja so I decided to upgrade to the Instant Pot. I’m glad I did and it’s been fun finding and developing recipes.
A fancy make ahead, freezer to Instant Pot chicken and mushroom recipe for any night.
Put all of the ingredients except the cheese in a freezer safe bag and freeze. Take it out the night before you want to cook it and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Put everything except the cheese in the Instant Pot and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. You’ll have moist rosemary garlic chicken with tons of mushrooms. Stir the creamy goat cheese (or cream cheese) into the hot chicken and it will be ready to serve alone or over pasta, quinoa or polenta. I used 4 ounces of chèvre with herbs so the overall fat content is low and the mushrooms are filling and a great source of fiber and vitamin D.
Fresh goat cheese is readily available from the rancheros and at the grocery stores. I understand that it will be available at the weekly Loreto CSA pick up sites as well this year. Any creamy cheese, would work and the Loretan ranchers make a fabulous fresh chèvre with finally chopped peppers. I’ll use that for my next batch of Instant Pot chicken.
Instant Pot Chicken and Creamy Rosemary Mushrooms
A slow cooker recipe with rosemary and garlic chicken and creamy mushroom sauce to serve over pasta, polenta or quinoa.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms, may substitute white mushrooms.
- 1 cup, chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons dried rosemary or two fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or water
- 4 ounces chèvre, may substitute cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Step 1 Remove chicken skin and dice chicken into 1 inch pieces. Salt and pepper the chicken. Clean and slice mushrooms. Dice onions and mince garlic.
- Step 2 If you are preparing this in advance as a freezer ready meal then combine all ingredients except the cheese and parsley and freeze until ready to cook.
- Step 3 In you aren’t freezing this meal then take the extra time to sauté the onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes, using the sauté Instant Pot function. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes until slightly browned. If you don’t have a slow cooker with a sauté function then you can skip these steps.
- Step 4 Add mushrooms and remaining seasonings. Add 3/4 cup of water.
- Step 5 Seal the Instant Pot. Touch the slow cooker button and adjust the heat and time. Low setting for 6-8 hours or high setting for 4 hours of cooking.
- Step 6 Before serving stir chèvre into the hot chicken and mushrooms until combined and a creamy sauce develops. Stir in fresh parsley. Serve alone or over polenta, rice, pasta or quinoa.
Do you have an Instant Pot? Please share any of your Instant pot recipe links in the comments. I’m excited to use this in Baja for pinto beans, artichokes, tortilla soup, barbacoa beef, pork carnitas and…….
Pin it for later
Before you go, please subscribe