Prepare this Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup on the weekend and freeze it for later or if you have the time you can make it in the morning and toss it in the Instant Pot or a slow cooker. Either way you return to a delicious soup in the evening. You can cook this recipe on the stove top without a slow cooker, simmer for 40 minutes.
I made a double batch and froze one batch for later.
If you freeze a batch then thaw the meal overnight in the refrigerator and dump it into the Instant pot on the slow cooker setting in the morning with a 6 cups of broth or chicken stock. I use generous tablespoons full of spices every time I use the slow cooker because the spices mellow after a few hours or simmering. I want to taste all of those fragrant Mexican spices.
Serve Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup with tortilla strips, cilantro, sour cream or la creme, diced avocado, crumbled cotija or shredded cheddar cheese and lime wedges.
A Weight Watcher’s friendly meal, but use fat free sour cream (not a fan) and go easy on the cheese and tortilla strips. The soup is loaded with vegetables, fiber and flavor. Soup fills you up faster than tacos!
Paleo diets exclude legumes, the pinto beans, but a real food diet would welcome them. In my opinion legumes are an inexpensive, healthy source of protein and fiber so I include them in my lower carbohydrate real food diet.
Vegetarians and vegans can modify this recipe by leaving out the chicken and using vegetable broth. The spicy soup and vegetables are the best part of this recipe anyway.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
An Instant Pot recipe that can be made in a slow cooker or simmered on the stove top. Easy, healthy real Mexican flavored soup loaded with vegetables and fiber. Double the recipe and freeze 1/2 before cooking for a ready to cook slow cooker dinner.
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts and/or thighs
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans substitute kidney or black beans
- 14 ounces fire roasted tomatoes 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes
- 14 ounces canned fire roasted tomatoes substitute 2 cups fresh
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup corn kernals frozen, fresh or canned
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 cup sweet peppers, poblano or bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped cilantro divided, 1/2 cup cooked, 1/2 cup raw to serve
- 3 cloves garlic minced 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup crisp corn tortilla strips or tortilla chips crushed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 fresh lime
- 1/2 cup crumbled cojita cheese substitute any cheese
Sauté onions and garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil until soft on the sauté setting. Add remaining ingredients and use the slow cooker low setting for 6-8 hours or high setting for 4 hours.
Serve with diced avocado, tortilla strips or chips crushed, additional chopped cilantro, sour cream or la creme, and lime wedges.
To freeze this before cooking as part of a weekly meal prep, combine all soup ingredients except canned tomatoes and broth. Let the meal thaw overnight in the refrigerator and toss into the Instant Pot in the morning with the canned tomatoes and broth. To cook this on the stove top, simmer 40 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
Pin it for later. You might like my Pinterest Board, Instant Pot Mexican Recipes.